The 101st Way to Cook Zucchini
It’s that time of year – when gardeners start leaving “gifts” of zucchini on their neighbors’ doorsteps in the middle of the night so they can’t be refused….
This recipe uses zucchini, tomatoes, onions, and basil, all of which are abundant at the farmers’ markets and CSA boxes just now. Try to find zucchini and tomatoes that are approximately the same diameter.
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 medium onion, cut into ¼” thick half moons
- 1-2 zucchini and/or yellow squash, sliced into ¼” thick rounds
- 3-4 small to medium tomatoes, sliced ¼” thick
- 1 bunch basil leaves removed from stems + a few leaves cut into thin ribbons
- salt + pepper to taste
- Preheat the onion to 375ºF and use 1 tablespoon of the olive oil to grease a baking dish.
- Arrange the zucchini and tomatoes in the dish as shown.
- Tuck the whole basil leaves in among the vegetables.
- Drizzle the vegetables with the remaining tablespoon of oil.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Bake 20-40 minutes, depending on how cooked you like the vegetables.